Home Care after Surgery: Tubes in Ears
- Patient should rest on the day of surgery.
- Normal activities should resume the day after surgery.
- There may be a small amount of bleeding from the ears for 1-2 days after surgery. – Do not be concerned about this.
- Ear tubes do not cause pain after the initial discomfort of surgery.
- Use the drops given after surgery, 3 drops in each ear 3 times a day for 3 days unless they burn the ears. If they burn, discontinue use.
- ALWAYS keep water out of ears as long as the tubes are in place.
- If the patient has problems with drainage from the ears, and the child is otherwise okay, it is generally not necessary to go to the Emergency Room. Call us for an appointment the morning of the next business day to see us for cleaning and medication.
- Most tubes generally last 12-18 months. There is a chance that some tubes may stay in too long and need to be removed or they may fall out early and need to be replaced.
- We need to perform a hearing test about 4 weeks after the tubes are placed.
WE FIT EARPLUGS OF ALL SHAPES AND SIZES AND ONES THAT FLOAT!!
For more information about special earplugs, please contact our office at 256-329-1114.